Friday, June 3, 2011

No Tags

After (almost) 6 months, I'm back. I've decided to incorporate more "life" things in this blog instead of finance and economics all day, everyday. I have discovered that these two topics can be uninteresting to people...go figure.

I had an appointment to see an apartment today. I was walking down Taylor Street and I had just crossed Racine as I see a khaki colored blur running on the other side of the street. This blur was going fast; full speed. I look behind it and I saw nothing. This blur was a dog and its owner was nowhere. As I look back at the dog, I see it dart out into the street.

I see the SUV.

I see the dog.

SUV.
Dog.

BAM!

The SUV comes to a halt. A crowd gathered at the intersection. I walk to see the dog hoping for a miracle. It was still alive. Blood coming out of its nose and mouth. Its leg was twitching.

Still breathing.

A man, his wife and son come to see the dog. It's not theirs. The dog was severely hurt.

Suffering.

I tell the man we have to put the dog out of its misery. We couldn't let it suffer. I mentioned His son kept his distance. The man picked up the dog and we carried it to the sidewalk. Blood still coming out of its nose.

Still breathing.

We didn't know what to do.

The driver came -- she's frantic and upset. We look at the dog's collar - no tags. Damn. The stranger and myself are petting the dog, doing what we can. I look at his son, he had his hand over his mouth, with his brow raised, looking sad.

Down the street we see a policeman's SUV. Perhaps they would know what to do.

I look back at the dog... nothing.

No leg twitching. No breathing.

No tags.

1 comment: