Sunday, April 11, 2010

Vinyl's Coming Back in a BIG Way

Music has been a big part of my life. My Father bought me my first guitar (which I wish I would've picked up when I was 8 instead of 22) and would play me records when I was a kid. Hell, one of my first gifts that I can remember as a kid is a Fisher Price record player that played 45s.

Though I DESPISED being dragged to record stores when I was younger (this usually consisted of me pouting and throwing tantrums), it took me years to finally realize the significance of what he was trying to do: instill culture, rhythm, style, interest. All of these things are VITAL to success. My father wouldn't force his musical tastes on me, he just wanted me to believe in it; who or what band it may be didn't seem to matter to him.

Now it seems as if vinyl is coming back (this article is a GREAT read about the rebirth of vinyl as well as some sales numbers). So much so that there's a "holiday" called National Record Store Day (Saturday April 17th). I have taken a look at the list of artists that will be have released and concocted my own list of "nice to haves". Some of which I hope to get in an effort to start my own collection, others for friends, and maybe a couple to sell on a free market (there's the economics tie in).

So this weekend I will accompany my Father to celebrate National Record Store Day in Chicago. Some of these record stores I have been to many times before and I'm sure this trip will be reminiscent of days passed but with one exception-

I'll leave the tantrums at home.


1 comment:

  1. Gah! I love vinyl records! Four years ago, while studying abroad in England, I bought Yes' first album, Roundabout on a 45. I have been collecting vinyls from new and old artists ever since.

    ReplyDelete